Sunday, March 3, 2013

Personal Learning Style!


In most styles of learning i am 'well balanced'. This means that i can effectively respond to multiple styles of teaching and learning. I guess this can be effective as no matter what the teaching style, i can gain some knowledge or insight.

The one area however that stood out was Sensing and Intuitive. A Sensing learner is someone who likes to learn facts and use with well-established methods where as a Intuitive learner prefers discovering and creating different possibilities and relationships. Sensing learners are careful with details and memorise information well, however may not grasp new ideas as quickly as Intuitive learners.

I can highly believe this outcome. At High School, I was the type of student who liked to only learn information i believed would be useful in later life. This was the situation in Year 12 when i was completing Mathematics 'B'. I hated it!! It involved all of these complicated ideas which i knew i would never use in my life! I was not doing well at it because it didn't interest me! I begged and begged to be changed and finally someone listened and decided i should go to Mathematic's 'A'. Some people saw this as a silly move, however i loved it! Maths was finally fun again! There was information i could use and understand.

I loved Maths as there were formulas you could remember and get it right every time! It made sense. Subjects like Science didn't interest me as it was not always facts.(Sometimes it was) I was always the annoying child that had the question, 'But Why?'. This drove my teachers crazy! A lot of things i was taught in school were theories and things which couldn't be explained. I wanted to know answers...

It is amazing how different people can be. In the 7 billion people in the world everyone is different! This amazes me... As a teacher i realise from this that i must be diverse in how i teach. I must cater for all students in all different learning styles. Students didn't choose their learning style, they were born that way. Therefore i must learn to teach that way!

Futher descriptions on all learning styles by Felder and Soloman can be found here.


Also, if you haven't already, how about trying the Questionnaire yourself. It can be found here. Who knows what you'll learn!

No comments:

Post a Comment