Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Group tool 4- Sibelius in Education

I began using Sibelius in year 11. During this time my teacher never taught me how to use it so i never gained full respect until i was forced to use it in University. In high school i was introduced to the program and was expected to understand its capabilities to complete an assignment. Not knowing where to being, i opted for the other option and record my music, rather than notate it. This caused me to postpone my learning and skills i would need later. I wish my teacher took the time to scaffold activities to introduce me to the program and teach me its range of possibilities.

Sibelius is an amazing program once you are taught the basics. I used it essentially every day for 3 years in University. It became a time saving option! (Which at the beginning i never thought was possible). In my classroom, i will endeavour to scaffold appropriate activities to ensure students are comfortable and confident using this program, well before assessment time.

Sibelius is a notation software which can create and edit musical scores. There are flexi-time MIDI inputs, Keyboard and Fretboard Windows.  Students have the ability to add signs, dynamics and latin meanings to ensure the creativity of their work. Students can then keep music libraries for their futures or export files into PDF's for assignment submission, rehearsals and performances. MIDI files can also be created so others can hear what has been composed.

Bellow is a PMI table for Sibelius in education:

Plus
Minus
Interesting
Legible presentation

Skills for later education

Enhances music notation skills

Doesn’t need access to internet

Encourages self learning

Students can apply skills into personal life tasks

Can create ‘Library of Work’
Time consuming

Expensive

Takes time to use effectively and learn the possibilities

Students can only use on a computer that has the program- can not use at home if they don’t have Sibelius installed

Have be be careful of copyright breaches
Create Midi sound files

Most schools have ‘class kits’





Bellow is an arrangement that i completed for my undergraduate degree of Music, using Sibelius.



























Bellow is my own composition. Sibelius is a useful tool to ensure that music is legible and can is easily located.



I will endeavour to use this program to the best of its ability and teach students skills for their futures with well structured activities. 



No comments:

Post a Comment